Masterson Method Integrated Equine Performance Bodywork Certification Program
When Jim Masterson first began teaching Weekend Seminars, he was asked if there was a Masterson Method Certification program. Most often this was asked by equine care and massage therapists looking to increase their knowledge and add effective tools to their toolboxes.
In 2008 due to popular demand, Jim began teaching a Certification Course in The Masterson Method in both the United Kingdom and the United States to those that want to use this Method as a career path in Equine Massage.
Masterson began putting together a practical – as opposed to academic – program in which he could pass on what he knew about getting results in performance.
Jim’s goal was to develop an equine massage school that would provide a systematic method that would make a difference in the horse, make a difference for the owner and trainer, and to make a difference in equine therapist’s business. It’s all about results. If you can get an improvement in performance, movement and comfort in the horse, they’ll call you back.
In 2012, we developed an online Field Work School site as a resource for our students going through the Certification Program. The online school is a centralized location students can go to find all the resources they need to be successful in the program, communication with a mentor, and a place to monitor their progress.
Since then our Certification has evolved and developed into what it is today, and attracts horse-people for a variety of reasons, some of which are listed here:
- to improve professional skill as a therapist
- to improve results as an equine competitor
- to increase personal knowledge
- to become a better all-around horse-person
- for a better understanding of the horse
- a sense of accomplishment
What Does Certification in The Masterson Method® Mean?
Certification in any discipline shows that you have put in the time, energy and study to meet the standards of proficiency in that discipline. Masterson Method Certification shows that you have learned and become proficient in advanced Masterson Method techniques.
As there is no regulatory authority governing training in this type of equine bodywork in most states, and the Masterson Method certification is not under the auspices or authorization of any regulatory authority. A Masterson Method certification shows to a horse owner or veterinarian only that you have taken a course of study and become proficient in a specific type of equine bodywork.
As interest in alternative equine therapies grows and as more and more horse-people learn the value of the Masterson Method on their horses, it is our hope that the businesses of the Masterson Method Certified Practitioner (MMCP) will grow with it.
Laws Governing the Practice of Alternative Therapies
The laws that govern equine massage and alternative therapies are different in each state. If you intend to practice equine massage and alternative therapies as a business, it is important that you become familiar with the laws of the state in which you plan to practice. It is also important that you talk with equine massage and alternative therapists in your area as well as your veterinarian, to get a good practical understanding of how practicing in your area works.
Keep in mind that the purpose of the Masterson Method is to improve performance, well-being, relationship and communication with the horse. Its purpose is not to replace veterinary care.
Steps to Becoming Certified: The Masterson Method Certification Program
To become a Masterson Method Certified Practitioner (MMCP) you must meet the horsemanship experience and educational prerequisites explained below, complete the training requirements of the course, and demonstrate proficiency in all of the techniques taught. Time frame to complete the Certification Program: 9 – 18 months.
In order to become certified in the Masterson Method students must have:
- Completed all of the training requirements of the program listed below
- Demonstrate proficiency in all of the techniques taught in the program
- Have taken the anatomy portion of our course or have equivalent experience.
Phase I: Prerequisite Courses
The following courses are prerequisites before enrolling in the Masterson Method Certification Program. Use the links to read more about each phase of certification:
- Beyond Horse Massage 2-Day Seminar-Workshop
You must have taken the Weekend Seminar-Workshop. This is our foundational workshop where the basic principles and techniques of the Masterson Method® are taught. Tuition: $449 (price may vary depending on location) See Calendar for courses near you
- Advanced 5-Day Course 5-Day Course.
The advanced techniques taught in this course will increase your success in bringing about positive change in the movement and performance of the horse. You will also learn evaluation techniques that will help you identify patterns that point to possible Primary Issues that often create compensatory and Secondary Issues in the body. Tuition: $2125. See Calendar for courses near you
- Beyond Horse Massage Home Study Course Online course that provides a guided study and structured practice of the techniques taught by Jim Masterson during a Beyond Horse Massage Weekend Seminar-Workshop. Discounted rate of $99 for students who have attended a Weekend Seminar-Workshop. Regular rate of $179.95
Phase II: Starting the Certification Program:
- All students are required to meet our anatomy requirements. Students enrolled in our Anatomy Course will need to complete this course before attending their 2nd Coaching Course and within 6 months of enrolling.
- Each applicant to the Certification Field Work Course will take this Field Work Entrance Quiz to evaluate proficiency in Equine Anatomy. This evaluation plus the applicants experience and past training in anatomy will be used to determine if the applicant will be required to take the Masterson Method Equine Anatomy Course.
- Tuition: $165
- Students will be required to complete a series of Case Study assignments for each of the Three Blocks. At the completion of each Block, students will attend a Coaching Course with a Masterson Method Coach. At the Coaching Courses, students will demonstrate their progress.
- Each Block will have a different Focus:
- Block 1: Proficiency of Techniques
- Block 2: Anatomy
- Block 3: Putting it all Together
- The final Coaching Course must be completed at least 3 weeks prior to attending the Certification Completion Course
- Option 1: If you pay the full amount at time of registration: Tuition is: $1500 (Admin fee and three Coaching Courses included) A savings of $50
- Option 2: Pay the Admin fee at time of registration $500 and pay as you go your Coaching Course fee which is $350 per Coaching due when you register to attend the Coaching Coursre
Phase III: Completion Course
- Student will review, practice and refine techniques learned during the Certification Program, be tested by Jim, and be taught the next level of evaluation and bodywork techniques. Proficiency in the Masterson Method techniques taught during the Certification Program will be required to earn a Masterson Method Certification. After completion, the student earns the title, Masterson Method Certified Practitioner (MMCP)
- Tuition: $1100
Note: Participation does not guarantee certification. You must fulfill all the requirements. You may be asked by Jim to complete more case studies or attend more coaching weekends before being tested once again.
We are accredited and approved through the follow organizations:
Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork Organization (NCBTMB) for Continuing Education Credits (CEC): Weekend Seminar-Workshop: 14 CEC. Advanced 5-Day: 32 CEC, Field Work Course: 50 CEC, Certification Completion Course: 21 CEC
International Institute for Complementary Therapists Approved Training Provider
Equine Therapies Association of Australia Approved Training Provider