Preparing for Your Upcoming Masterson Method Course
Are you attending a Masterson Method® course? Terrific! Here is what you need to know to prepare. Please read thoroughly:
- The schedule for each day is 8:45am–5:00pm. The course will begin at 9:00am, but please plan on arriving 15 minutes before the course begins, to sign in and get acquainted.
- Depending on the course you are attending, you’ll want to review the prerequisite material in advance.
- If you are enrolled in the Beyond Horse Massage Weekend Seminar or the Equine Specialist Seminar, please read and/or view the Beyond Horse Massage Book or the Beyond Horse Massage video.
- If you are enrolled in the Light to the Core Seminar, please view the Light to the Core video.
- If you are enrolled in the Advanced 5-Day Course, please complete the Beyond Horse Massage Home Study Course (in addition to have completed the Weekend Seminar in person).
- All participants will need to bring their own sack lunch and/or snacks (unless otherwise noted). Not all barns have refrigerators on the premises so please come prepared with a way to keep your lunch cool, if possible/necessary.
- Students are responsible for making their own hotel reservations. We will provide nearby accommodation options once the course is confirmed, but you are free to find accommodation information via Google Travel, Airbnb, Vrbo, or any other preferred service.
- Please do NOT book your flight or accommodations until you receive confirmation from our office that we have reached our minimum number of participants and we can go forward with the course. If you book your flight or accommodations BEFORE receiving confirmation that the course will take place, we will not be held responsible for any fees incurred due to cancellation.
- We ask that students not record video during the course. Still photography is allowed, but please be courteous to other students when taking photos.
- Remember to drink water and stay hydrated throughout the day. Please keep track of empty bottles and other trash to dispose of appropriately.
- Each student will receive a workbook and a pen. We encourage you to bring a notebook if you would like to take extra notes. Please keep track of your own materials and be sure not to leave anything in the barn or surrounding area. Only clipboards, pens and workbooks are allowed inside the stalls. Please leave other bags, etc. outside and in a place that will not obstruct the barn aisle.
- Wear appropriate footwear and attire (boots, leather, barn shoes, no sandals, flip flops, or open-toed shoes) and comfortable, loose clothing (jeans and appropriate shirt, no tank tops or sleeveless tops). Please do not wear scarves or excessive jewelry. You will be bending and moving around, so attire must be suitable for the work.
- You will be working with horses in stalls, on mats or concrete, and/or in an open space. Use appropriate caution at all times.
- Work only on horses that are approved by the instructor. The instructor will tell you which horses are available to practice on.
- Think about where you are, physically, in the stall, when working. Make sure the horse has room to move away, on a path that does not involve running into you. The instructor will cover this again prior to beginning your work. If the instructor feels you are not properly handling a horse and they assess the situation as potentially dangerous, they may request that you step out of the stall and audit only.
- The instructor and assistant(s) will do their best to move from stall to stall during practice sessions. Their goal is to give everyone one-on-one instruction. Please be patient.